I received 3 spam messages from two people this morning that would never send spam. I looked at the email headers and sure enough the emails came directly from them.
Tips for dealing with an email compromise :
1. Change your password asap
2. The new password should contain 8 characters or more.
3. The password should not be a dictionary word. Include at least 1 number and 1 Special character.
5. Ensure your password recovery options are up to date.
7. Change passwords on other sites and services.